Week Twenty-Two: Nici's Charred Kale, Apple, Orange & Almond Salad
This fresh, easy meal is sure to put a spring in your step!
Charred Kale, Apple, Orange & Almond Salad
This salad will be a hit even if you’re not keen on kale! By flash cooking it in a pan it makes it tastes just so gorgeous and paired with crunch apples, juicy oranges and almonds it’s just fabulous. Top with some grilled chicken or fish or haloumi if you like.
Big bunch of curly kale (about 150g)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 apple, thinly sliced
2 oranges, peel and pith removed, then cut into chunks (save any juice from the chopping board for the dressing)
¾ cup toasted almonds – chopped
Calendula petals to garnish (optional)
¼ cup olive oil
2 tbsp fruit vinegar (or 1 tbsp balsamic)
Juice from one lemon + orange juice run off (see above)
1 tsp honey
1. Remove the main, thick stalk from the kale and discard (or blend and make into a face-mask – just joking!) then roughly tear or chop the kale leaves.
2. Heat a large pan to medium, add olive oil, then pile the kale into the pan. Toss the kale around until it begins to wilt and soften, then turn the heat to high. Leave it alone until some of the kale begins to brown and even char - it adds a wonderful smokiness to the flavour of this salad – then toss a few more times then remove from the heat.
3. In a large bowl, whisk the dressing ingredients together, taste and adjust (add more vinegar if not acidic enough, more honey if you prefer it sweeter). Add the kale, apples, orange pieces and toasted almonds and toss to coat.
4. Scatter over calendula petals if using, and serve immediately.
Brain Test! Andrew Reid’s Sudoku Solution!
Quiz: Actors of the Silver Screen Answers:
1. Alan Alda. (he used the first two letters of both of his names to create a new last name!). 2. George Clooney. 3. Thelma & Louise (Brad won an Oscar for 12 Years a Slave as a Producer, and a supporting actor Oscar for Once Upon a Time…In Hollywood). 4. Matt Damon (Matt is 50, Ben is 48). 5. Runaway Bride and Pretty Woman. 6. A priest. 7. Michael Caine. 8. 21. 9. Rita Wilson – 6 films (Volunteers, Larry Crowne, Sleepless in Seattle, The Bonfire of the Vanities, Magnificent Desolation and That Thing You Do. 10. Gladiator.
That’s it from us this week! We hope you have a wonderful long weekend and we look forward to having your company again next week. In the meantime, do send us an email with your thoughts - simply reply to this email, or, if you’re reading online, leave a comment below.
Alice, Kelly & Nici x