Week 24: Nici's Pink Icing Celebration Buns
Pop the kettle on! It's been one heck of a week, but Nici has the perfect antidote...
Pink icing buns
After the week we’ve had (all that US politics!!) I feel like we need something absolutely frivolous and fun and these cream and jam-filled finger buns do the trick!
1 heaped tablespoon caster sugar
1 medium egg, lightly beaten
2 tsp instant yeast
250g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
250g high grade flour
175ml tepid water
½ tbsp sunflower oil
1 ½ cup icing sugar
1 tsp raspberry juice
2 tbsp water
Coconut for sprinkling
300mls cream, whipped
¼ cup raspberry jam
1. Warm half the milk and butter together until butter is melted. Whisk in egg and sugar and remaining milk. Sprinkle over yeast and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
2. Sift the flours into a bowl. Make a well in the centre and pour in the milk/yeast mixture and 100mls of the water. Stir with a wooden spoon until you have a scraggy dough, adding more water as you go, to get a soft, sticky dough. You may or may not need all of the water.
3. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 mins. Cover loosely with a plastic bag and leave in a warm place for 1 hr or until the dough has doubled in size.
4. Knock the dough back and divide into 14-16 pieces. Roll each into a finger about 12-14cm long. Transfer to 2 baking paper lined trays, spaced well apart. Cover again and leave in a warm place for 30 mins or until doubled in size.
5. Preheat the oven to fan 180°C. Bake for 8-10 mins until lightly golden. Leave on the trays to cool completely.
6. Sift the icing sugar into a large bowl and stir in 2 tbsp water and raspberry juice for colour. Mix to a smooth icing that’s thick but a little runny too.
7. Spoon the icing over the fingers, sprinkle with coconut and leave to set.
8. Split each bun and pipe in jam then whipped cream. Eat and enjoy!!
Celebrity Quiz: What’s In A Name Answers:
1 = D, 2 = J, 3 = A, 4 = G, 5 = I, 6 = H, 7 = C, 8 = E, 9 = F, 10 = B.
That’s it from us this week! We hope you have a wonderful Sunday afternoon and we look forward to having your company again next week. In the meantime, do send us an email with your thoughts - simply reply to this email, or, if you’re reading online, leave a comment below.
Alice, Kelly & Nici x